Re: Kyma System with Looper Construction Kit for sale

Hi Again-

 From the Symbolic Sounds site-

> How much does a support contract cost?
>
> We offer free e-mail, fax, and telephone support.
>
> Once I buy the system, am I then on my own or do I become part of a
> "family"?
>
> Now that you mention it, it is a bit familial at times (even down
> to the detail that we might feel a little hurt if we never hear
> from you!).
>
> Seriously though, there is a strong Kyma community and there are
> plenty of opportunities to interact with other Kyma users and with
> the hardware/software developers both online and in person at
> various trade shows and educational workshops around the world.
>
> The kyma•tweaky site is a place for posting news of Kyma-related
> events (concert dates, album releases, games, workshops, etc.),
> asking questions and exchanging patches designed by your "Kyma-
> siblings" (to further the family analogy). And the Eighth Nerve
> email list and online newsletter provides news on some of the
> intriguing applications that make use of Kyma.

and more to the point-

> Software updates and hardware upgrades
>
> What is the current version number on the software? When is the
> next one coming out? How much does each software update cost?
>

> We are currently shipping Kyma X (where 'X' stands for the last
> letter in 'six'). Major updates (where the first number increments)
> cost somewhere between $150 and $200. Minor updates (where the
> numbers after the decimal point are incremented) are provided free
> throughout the year and are downloadable from our web site.
>
> When is the next software or hardware upgrade coming out?
>
> We are always working on improving Kyma. But because we know from
> past experience how difficult it is to accurately predict release
> dates, it is our policy not to discuss dates or projected times for
> any new software or hardware.
>
> One thing we can tell you, though, is that we have a long track
> record of providing multiple upgrade paths and generous discounts
> to our current customers.
>
> Remember that any time you buy a new computer (or for that matter
> any kind of technology, even old technology like a car), you do so
> with the certain knowledge that the company is already working on
> next year's model (or in the case of computers, it could even be
> next quarter's model). It is a familiar dilemma faced by every
> person who has ever purchased a computer: Can I afford to wait for
> the new model to come out? Or do I have some work I need to do now
> and could Kyma make a difference in the quality of that work?
>
> When a computer-maker comes out with a new model, it doesn't mean
> that the old model on your desk stops working, and similarly for
> the Capybara. But Symbolic Sound goes a step further by offering a
> special discount on hardware upgrades to current users based upon
> how long they have had the system. (And when was the last time your
> friendly computer manufacturer offered you a deal like that?).

I think this all sums it up pretty well. It's in Symbolic's best
interest to keep the value up for all their products, to keep their
base of regular users upgrading, so they're relatively generous in
that respect.

BTW, the software upgrades are usually pretty generous too, usually
having several "big" improvements per year beside numerous smaller
ones. For example, Kyma X was the most recent big upgrade, to which
their crossfilter (realtime convolution module) was added midway,
followed later with their Tau synthesis algorithm, a mondo pitch/time/
formant graphic editor/module combination for multiple simultaneous
samples. In between there were a lot of fixes and introduction of
other new features.

Any further questions please feel free to email me off-list,

Thanks-

Mark