Re: What do you think is necessary in order to have an excellentcomposition?

My first reaction is that I value rise and build, a sense of growing a
climax. But this second I'm listening to Philip Glass's extremely
repetitive "music in fifths", which has no dynamic variation, no climax
to speak of, and no structural build other than the accruing effect of
repetition. And I love it, as much as I love, say, Bach's "Chaconne",
which is full of climaxes and dynamics and shifts and all of that stuff.

I'd venture to say that, much as in a human face, the pleasing aspects
of a composition are due to a balance particular to that one entity. If
the structure makes its own sense, anything can work.

I do find that the golden rectangle is a construct that pops up again
and again, particularly in pop songs. The climax, bridge, solo, whatever
is nearly always at that magical point.

Daryl Shawn
www.swanwelder.com