Re: how much do you care about your music being in strict equal tempermentkeys?

hi Margaret.

I listen predominantly to non-western temperament music.
That's what I like, and especially to come across an unusual temperament.

To hear music from around the world which is influenced by Western
temperament does bother me sometimes. For instance I think it's a bit a
a shame to tune a kora to the Western ideal.

Actually a lot of Western music isn't evenly tempered.
Violin players tune in perfect fifths, and even have a different playing
technique depending on whether they play flats or sharps. I've heard
that a violinist may tune slightly differently to be in tune with a
piano. ( ..but when a string Quartet plays Schoenberg, they use 12T)
Choral music tends towards purer intervals.
Church organs are not tuned in evenly, apparently because it just
doesn't sound good.

Some things do bother me though, I hate it when jazz bass players play
out of tune (which is most of the time) :-)

andy butler
www.andybutler.com