Re: how much do you care about your music being in strict equal temperment keys?

Equal temperament - isn't that the one with commitment issues?

My personal (but possibly not very unique) take on equal temperament vs other tunings is largely governed by context. Keys, pianos, harpsichord, etc: yes, well-tempered - that's how we're used to hearing them. Human vocal harmonies however can tend to sound contrived, unnatural or dishonest when they are obviously well-tempered (depending on which intervals are involved). I think the same goes for violin as the harmony tends to be sparse, and our ears like to seek out those "perfect ratio" sounding intervals you can feel in your gut. Guitars are not well-tempered at all - imitating guitar on a well-tempered tuning synth is an easy way to start off on the wrong foot as far as sounding guitar-y is concerned. In ensemble context (putting all of these instruments with different temperament together) I have no objection to mixing all of these for a wonderfully heterogeneous and ambiguous final result ;-)

Best,
Nic