RE: Why contemporary music sounds terrible

Absolutely Brian!those Zeppelin record production
still amaze me,and they are made to be turned up!those
drum sounds still sound fresh and the sounds page got
out of those small amps and guitars are the most
interesting ive heard in rock n roll history.What ive
always found brilliant about such a band was the
passion behind it,there are mistakes all over the
place like the solo on "baby i am gonna leave you" the
instrumental "black mountain side" or the bleeding
echo at the end of "you shook me" or the cut off lost
part by their engineer which i believe page fired on
the spot which they had to solve by pasting another
part at the begining of "celebration day"...
but is the honesty power and passion,no frills or
thrills they played back in those days that make them
so special to this day,almost as if it was the last
time they were going to live...
Luis

--- greg williams <gregorwilliams@comcast.net> wrote:

> Brian,
>
> I am also a fan of Page and his production in
> general in terms of dynamics,
> but have you heard "How the West was Won"? It was
> hugely disappointing for
> me in this regard; it is squashed beyond belief, and
> so is the sound on the
> Zeppelin DVD, which was released around the same
> time. I don't know if it
> was Page himself who suddenly caved in or his
> mastering engineer, but I
> really wish I could hear those recordings with some
> dynamics still intact.
>
> ~Greg

Tension....release....tension...release....louder....softer,

http://www.austin360.com/music/content/music/stories/xl/2006/09/28cover.html

> > "You listen to these modern records, they're
> > atrocious, they have sound all
> > over them. There's no definition of nothing, no
> > vocal, no nothing, just
> > like - static."
> >
> > - Bob Dylan in Rolling Stone magazine
> >
> > "There's something . . . sinister in audio that is
> > causing our listeners
> > fatigue and even pain while trying to enjoy their
> > favorite music. It has
> > been propagated by A&R departments for the last
> > eight years: The complete
> > abuse of compression in mastering (forced on the
> > mastering engineers against
> > their will and better judgment)."
> >
> > "The mistaken belief that a 'super loud' record
> will
> > sound better and
> > magically turn a song into a hit has caused most
> > major label releases in the
> > past eight years to be an aural assault on the
> > listener," Montrone's letter
> > continued. "Have you ever heard one of those test
> > tones on TV when the
> > station is off the air? Notice how it becomes
> > painfully annoying in a very
> > short time? That's essentially what you do to a
> song
> > when you super compress
> > it. You eliminate all dynamics."
> >
> > For those already confused, Montrone was
> essentially
> > saying that there are

=== message truncated ===

www.myspace.com/luisangulocom