Re: Zipper Noise, an example

On 5 mar 2007, at 23.41, Stefan Tiedje wrote:

> Its very likely not an interference, its just unsmoothed direct
> control of the amplitude. 128 steps are not fine enough...
> You can test this, as its more audible on low frequency sine waves.
> if you feed a sound without much overtones/treble and control the
> volume is it more audible? Its hard to believe, that they don't
> smooth it.
> In my Max patches I usually smooth it with 20 ms which creates an
> acceptable latency for volume control...

Hi Stefan,

Smothing was the first fix I tried with the FireworX, but it did not
change the noise. I have noticed the same zipper noise also when (1)
controlling other FireworX parameters than volume by MICI CC's and
(2) in other software when controlling anything by external MIDI CC#
(Ableton Live, NI Guitar Rig 2).

Anyway, I did a check on what you said about overtone/treble rich
sounds. But there is no difference to the noise added by moving the
pedal when I feed the box low notes with no treble and when I feed it
high and sparkly stuff.

Applications I have been using a lot and where I have never noticed
any such zipper noise when controlling a continuous parameter with a
MIDI CC# are Logic and Numerology. Logic has a fader resolution far
higher than the 128 steps of MIDI and Numerology has a built-in
"scaling" (i.e. what you call "smoothing").

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)
www.looproom.com (international)