Re: "self resonating" fretleess electric guitar -- ideas?

Per,

I have never owned a fretless guitar -- nor ever tried to make one. My
advice is
strictly regarding the other half of your project. Your efforts at a
DIY "Sustainiac."

Long before I ever became such a big fan of the original Sustainiac I
also
experimented with placing small speakers on an old ES-335 copy that
I played with all throughout the '70s. I had rather very mixed results
though.

Getting feedback (enhanced sustain) of the notes I wanted in a
predictable
fashion was the problem I most encountered when trying to put the
speaker on
or within the body of the guitar. Getting feedback when I didn't want
it was the
next most difficult aspect. Control was the issue

Putting it on the headstock seemed to work best. I couldn't
authoritatively really
say why -- not being a luthier or acoustical scientist. But, my guess
would be
that the body was too resonant in a wide range of frequencies. Driving
the
strings from the headstock gave that extra vibrating energy less of a
place
to go -- other than back to the strings.

Once I figured out that -- and the old Sustainiac Model B had appeared
on the
market in the mid 80s anyway -- I figured, "Why not use a commercial
product."
I'd already bought my first chrome Ebow in 1980 and IT was working out
pretty well
(if for only one string at a time). I picked up a Sustainiac a few
years later and
was totally hooked.

Yes, the Sustainiac is clunky and funky and you've got a little black
box and an exra
black wire hanging from your headstock. But the darn thing works so
well -- at least
it has for me. In addition to my original Model B, I purchased the new
Model C a few
years back and it works like a charm.

Anywho, if you are still in DIY mode, stick with placing it on the
headstock somehow.
I know it is not as hidden and "stealthy" of an effect that way. But it
works better IMOHO.
Also, I got the best results from small self-powered speakers I got
from Radio Shack.
They probably don't have Radio Shack in Sweden, but I imagine they have
similar
stores for electronic do-it-yourselfers.

If I remember correctly. Didn't you receive and do a magazine review of
a Sustainiac
device in Sweden a few years back? Being an old guy my mind plays
tricks on me.
How did it work out for you?

Best regards,

Ted Killian