RE: Nels Cline, guitarist occasionally looping

Yeah,

They had a nice run at the Alligator Lounge.  By the time I was hip to it, living in the Bay Area at the time, G.E. Stinson had taken over booking the joint.  Unfortunately, I think attendance went way down once Nels stopped playing the last sets of the evening.  Not long after I played there with Bobby Bradford and Ken Rosser (fine looping guitarist), they had to move to another venue, which only lasted a short time, then Monday nights were gone…..

Nels and I were band mates in Charlie Haden’s Liberation Orchestra back in ’83-’84, and had played on a Vinny Golia septet gig around that time as well.  I packed up my car and headed for NYC in January of ’85 in the hope of doing such music full-time (and of course, that’s when the LMO West Coast Unit actually became busy!).  If you ever get a gig like that, don’t give it up is all I can say – even if they are only playing once every few months…..

Best, TH

Tom Heasley

tom@tomheasley.com

www.tomheasley.com