Echoplex FCB 1010 question

I just upgraded my echoplex to IV and the record and overdub buttons are not working the way they did before.  I use a FCB1010 midi controller.  What is happening is as follows:
I push record and record a loop, then I overdub and when I stop the overdub the loop volume level is changed (audibly) and its midi level is displayed for a sec after stopping overdub.  I am only sending note on/off commands. No controller messages.   I thought it was just random but after banging my head I have figured out that it it somehow time dependent.  The longer I wait to stop the overdub the higher the level is in approximately 1.75 second repeats ie if I stop overdubing at 1 sec the level diplayed is 70-80 at 1.25 90-100 ...  this is repeated every 1.75 sec.  It is almost like some tap tempo function is controlling the echoplex volume.  I hope I have describe this OK
When I use other equiptment to trigger the echoplex like a midi keyboard controller the echoplex does not do this so it seems to be the footpedal.