Re: USB Microphones

On Sat, 26 May 2007, L.A. Angulo wrote:

> Gang,
> has anybody tried these USB mics? how do they differ
> in terms of quality from normal XLRs?
> ive been checking these out
> http://www.thomann.de/gb/the_tbone_sc450_usb.htm
> thanx for your input
> Luis

No, I have not tried USB mics. Knowing that USB is not precisely the
best protocol for an audio interface I see no sense in manufacturing
a mic based on USB. Talk about minimizing the creative options! If
you for some reason want to buy one, be sure to test it well first.
If it works for what you want to do it's fine.

I have owned or simply tested four or five USB audio interfaces and
they all sucked in some way. The only one that actually worked was a
Digidesign M-Box 2 Mini and it only worked with ProTools LE. With all
other software the audio stream was ruined by noise artifacts when
going fully duplex. My definition of "working" is that the audio
should sound as clean as originally in the air, with no interface
except for ears and brain.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)