Re: Help with Augustus Loop?

On 31 maj 2007, at 00.29, Siobahn Hotaling wrote:

> I am experimenting with both Ableton Live and Augustus Loop on my
> Macbook and I am feeling, well, a bit mystified.
>
> I have Ableton set up with the plug-in, and I have armed Track 1,
> and opened up Augustus Loop, and.... now what?
>
> Here's what I want to do - I just want to start recording a loop,
> keep it running, record something over that, etc. etc.... How  can
> I get Ableton and Augustus loop to work together?
>
> And I have no idea what I am doing.
>
> Any tips would be awesome.

I've been using exactly that Live/Augustus combo quite a lot in the
past. One idea might be to start out by MIDI binding some pedal to
Agustus "Freeze Loop" button. Whenever the Freeze Loop is OFF
everything you play into the plug-in will overdub into the loop as
new layers. When the Freeze Loop is ON you simply play on top of the
loop without your playing overdubbing into the loop. From there you
can experiment with all the other options offered by Augustus. Just
read the manual and make sure you know every function in the plug-in,
then get a cup of coffee and make a list of the function that make
sense to you for your specific music. Finally, bring your second cup
of coffee with you by the computer and set up MIDI bindings form some
pedals etc to activate your chosen functions in a convenient way
while playing.

There's  A LOT of fun stuff you can do with Live/Augustus, if you
look into pitch changing of the loop. The pitch can be controlled by
MIDI notes and this opens up for running MIDI clip loops in Live that
send their MIDI sequences into Augustus for instant pitch changing
while you are overdubbing audio into the loop. I'll stop here because
this can't be described in words... just wanted to plant the tip ;-)

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)
www.looproom.com (international)