Re: still on the interface quest...

----- Original Message -----
From: "Per Boysen" <perboysen@gmail.com>

> On 19 jun 2007, at 00.58, Krispen Hartung wrote:
>
>> I am one click short of buying this E-MU 1616 cardbus.

> I think it looks excellent by the specifications! The only situation  I
> can think of that might prevent you from buying it is if you need  good
> quality pre amps on the analog inputs.

What's the issue with the E-MU preamps? They are:

Two E-MU XTCT studio-grade, ultra-low noise preamps (-127dBu EIN) with
analog soft limiter - Mic/Line and true Hi-Z inputs via Neutrik
connectors,
48V phantom power and 60dB of gain

After all, I'm using an Indigo I/O card right now, with an 1/8th inch mini
plug for input, and I'm not even complaining about that. So, I'm guessing
these E-MU preamps will suit me just fine.

And I'm not sure PCMCIA
> is the most future proof system, but you should be in a situation
>better
> suited for knowing about that?

I'm not worried about PCMCIA. I've been using it for years for othe
applications.  I don't have much of
a choice either, because my Thinkpad doesn''t have firewire If it did, my
choice would be obvious.

Also, Rainer, I saw you note on the other interfaces. Basically, I'm
trying
to stay away from USB here. I have
limited slots. Oddly, there are only two cardbus audio interface systems I
could find that have break-out boxes:
the E-MU and the RME hammerfall card, which is $300 by itself, not
including
the breakout! No way.

Kris

Kris