Re: Record Industry Decline

Bill Fox, that was obnoxious and wholly unwarranted. I never
indicated any value judgments about wether the internet was "good"
or "bad" I simply made the distinction that it was the reason why
the music industry has changed - in direct response to the previous
claim. I could go on about how inappropriate your dissection of my
post is but instead I will simply request that you kindly refrain from
attacking people in here with such a condescending tone, and if you
must then at LEAST read more carefully what your responding to
before you mis-characterize what they've said.

On 7/5/07, Bill Fox < billyfox@soundscapes.us> wrote:
Michael Billow wrote:
> But the reason
> for their downfall is not their conduct, it is the changing
> world of technology and the fact that music can now
> be traded so easily, all over the world. Its the internet,
> nobody's fault really.
That's like saying all dynamite is bad.  Sure, suicide bombers use
dynamite in a bad way but a road construction crew uses dynamite in a
good way.  The internet is a thing, a tool.  It is neither good nor bad
on its own.  It all depends upon how a person uses it.
> Its basically no different from being
> able to record a record on your cassette player in the
> 70s,
except that you get *exact* copies with no generational loss, compressed
files not withstanding.
> except now you can share and trade with thousands
> of people from your own computer.
Oh, is *that* all?  :)  Instead of running off cassette copies in real
time (or double speed if you didn't mind the high end loss), you can rip
a CD once, get an exact copy, and then share it with everyone in your
address book with one email in much less time than it took to copy an LP
to cassette.  I'd say that this is a significant difference.
> But the music industry
> is going to have to scramble to roll with the changes.
Agreed.  Some feel that it is too late.  That remains to be seen.

Cheers,

Bill