Re: OT: composers and musicians being paid their royalties, was Fripp and Eno

HI,

To answer some of these question I need to state some facts first.
There is a third legal right, connected to recorded music, that no
one have yet mentioned in this thread and that is the right to embed
a recording in some physical medium to fabricate copies. A record
label has to achieve a license from the composer to do this. This is
regulated by a fee per copy when you print/duplicate CD's and the
printing plants look to it being done. But in your case, you are all
three players in one person; you are the composer, you are the artist
and you are the record label. This means you have to pay this
"mechanization" license to yourself. In Scandinavia there is a danish
organization named NCB (Nordic Copyright Bureau) that administrates
this, in close collaboration with STIM. We have a certain legal
exception that states that if you are both the composer and the
record label (i.e. printing an issue of your own music) you can skip
over this fee if not making more than 1000 copies in total. So,
you're referred project did exceed that free zone by ten times!

If you work with established record labels and publishers this
"mechanization" NCB license can be good sent and bring lots of money
to you (if you are the composer) before a record is even released.
This happens if your label/publisher manages to pitch one track to
some sampler album (a collection of different artists on one CD)
because samplers are normally printed in huge issues, which means
more money up front going to the composers for the mechanization
license.

If music is used in public and the composers are not associated with
a PRO the performance money goes back to the PRO and typically into
foundations of different kind. In Scandinavia STIM runs a lot of
those and the money is given away every year as scholarships or
gratifications to support young and talented composers/musicians. I
can't answer for how this is handled in other countries though, but
why not do a couple of phone calls and ask the guys that work with
that? I did so here and even went for a little "interviewing tour"
around record labels and publishing companies, to meet people for 30
minutes and put them all these kind of questions in person. Tell them
you're writing an article or prepare a lecture or whatever, that's a
door opener as good as any.

> how do we songwriters know where our
> music is being played and where the Gema is
> collecting?

We don't. The statement I receive from STIM doesn't either specify
more than which registered work the money emanates from. Usually
radio producers fill in lists of what music is being played on air,
if this is not all automated by a computer system.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)
www.looproom.com (international)