Re: OT- Resonating (was:Re: Civitas Urbanus (new album release))

Nothing about music, but I knew a (white) guy in Kentucky who said he never felt at home anywhere until he moved to Kenya. He thought about it a lot -- he theorized that it was the daily rhythm of life in "his" village. But why that would appeal to him and not ( e.g.) me, or his brothers, or whatever, he didn't know.

My wife likes Scandinavian folk music; I like South African and north Indian music. We both like Leo Kottke. We are culturally pretty similar. I'm not sure taste means anything but what you like.

On 7/22/07, RP Collier <skeptikalist@gmail.com> wrote:

On Jul 21, 2007, at 9:35 AM, Mark Sottilaro wrote:

> The Monkees would gravitate quite specifically toward some ethnic
> music and not others.  Theories?

The Monkees reference made me laugh. I grew up with that, Henry
Mancini and Broadway cast albums. When I was first learning guitar it
was Kingston Trio stuff, which I never liked.
It was not until I heard Muddy Waters that I felt a visceral
revelation about what music is and could be. From there it is a small
step to African music.
I think even Monkee-esque pop rock is only 3 degrees of separation
from African musics.

The oft parodied difference between gospel music and protestant hymns
speaks to the idea of "ecstatic" music vs. cerebral/mechanical music
but while I think there can be said to be musical "flavors" that may
suit certain personality temperaments, I think one's inclinations
towards a music depends on when you hear it within your personal
musical evolution. So it seems to be a complex equation of timing and
context and not a simple correspondence of "types."

regards

BobC

http://tinyurl.com/yt8f8j
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGb4Xq3MRtc