Re: LOVING NON NATIVE MUSICAL TRADITIONS

I've wondered sometimes where our musical interest comes from.  I
spent a lot of time with my grandparents while I was growing up and
they listened exclusively to classical music.  Mom liked folky stuff -
Pete Seager, Dylan, Woody Guthrie, etc.  Dad liked Elvis and some 60's
stuff like Janis.  We had Beatles, Jefferson Airplane, The Band,
Elvis, Miles Davis...  Mom was 15 when I was inutero in '63, and so I
think there was a bit of early 60's teenie-bopper music going on too.
Anyway, while I like all that stuff, I was seriously hooked on hard
rock and prog rock in the mid to late 70's.  I listened to Kansas,
Yes, Rush, King Crimson, Zeppelin, Moody Blues.  Nothing my parents
really listened to.  Now that I have a 15 year old daughter, it's
funny how she likes some of the stuff I do, and HATES some of it.  I
just can't get her into the Swedish Death Metal scene.  Kids these
days.  sheesh.  Funny thing is, she LOVES Elvis and big band stuff,
and also likes some new pop.  Her best comment on pop music was "you
know, if you take out the words, the music is pretty boring."  I'm
constantly amazed at the songs she sings along to, or asks me if I
have or will buy for her.  I think my Who's Next cd disappeared into
the black hole that is her room.  But then, a few weeks ago I HAD to
buy her the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack at a yard sale.  One thing
I vowed never to do when I had kids was to criticize the music they
liked.  And I guess fortunately, I like most of the stuff she does
anyway, so it's no biggie.  If I could just get her into King Crimson,
Porcupine Tree, and Opeth, I could listen to them in the car when she
was along!   hehehe

Tony

--
-==-=-=-