Re: LOVING NON NATIVE MUSICAL TRADITIONS (the psycholgy in music)

I would be really interested on this.I do think that
educating yourself with different types of music will
increase your appreciation but will not neccesarily
become a preference.
on the subject of being exposed to sound while in the
womb,i saw once a documentary about how rhythm plays
an essential part of life in the african culture
everything they do has some sort of rhythm,pregnant
mothers dancing and druming on their bellies, they
also showed how workers would syncronize together to a
certain rhythm while digging a whole in a construction
scene,and how kids as young as 3 yrs old do little
games clapping to claves and alternating polyrhythms
with each others hands.But then again there are people
that inherit rhythm and people that dont,regardless of
culture....perhaps unrhythmic people can eventually
learn it but will probably never feel it the way
others do.My girl who teaches kindergarden has
recently attended an interesting seminar about the
importance of early motoric development in children
and the lack of it in certain countries.
The other aspect that still interest me is why we are
attracted to certain types of music.The identification
part of it,just like color preference of clothes,but
does all of this really reveal a part of us or our
past?
Some people think if you listen to somber music and
dress all black every day or if you listen what people
tend to label as "depressive music" or like certain
"grausam" art there must be some sort of problem with
you, or predict that it will eventually have a
negative effect in you.But i am still not convinced
with this.When i talk to people  and say i like Pink
floyd or Camaron de la Isla and love dalí they say "oh
too depressive for me".But for me it doesnt feel that
way,it just feels deep and sends me shivers,i once had
a girlfirend that would become really stressed and
irritated everytime i played a king Crimson album!
the different perception and its preference behind is
what still intrigues me...
Luis

--- "stillllscary@netzero.net"

www.myspace.com/luisangulocom