native music

  I was born in 55,my father was a jazz and R&B fan,he talked about seeing
Coleman Hawkins,James Moody ( he liked to sing Moody's Mood for Love
),Lionel Hampton Count Basie at Roseland in NY as a teenager. ,I remember
him having Ray Charles ,and Sarah Vaughn records when I was small. He
listened to the radio all the time. My parents listened and danced to
Jobim,and other Bossa Nova stuff in the early 60s.When my father was in
his
late 60s he went to see Prince live.But he'd  tried to keep me from
playing
music.My grandfather played Ukulele and Piano ,and I heard alot of the 20s
and 30s pop songs  like Sunny Side of the Street,It's a Sin to Tell a
Lie,Me
and My Shadow, Five Foot Twofrom him. I grew up in D.C. and heard alot of
black music,on the Radio,James Brown Ray Charles,Bobby Blue Bland, Motown
etc.I remember hearing early Reggae, My Boy Lollie Pop,by Millie
Small,Desmond Dekker Isrealites,Stir it Up by the Wailers,Miriam Makeba,
Calypso Mighty Sparrow,as early as '65
  My other grandfather was a folklorist through whom I heard alot of
what's
now sometimes called Americana roots,and also music from other cultures,
when he lived in India,gave me a Ravi Shankar record, the same week I got
Meet the Beatles ,the first record I ever bought. My mother was horrified
was getting into rock and roll,said they were just a fad and would be
forgotten in a year. 10 years lateer she had most of their records. When I
was 8 I saw Olatunji live at the World's Fair in NY, while there I also
saw
the Merry Prankster psychedelic Bus. In the 90s I perforemd on African
Drums
w/ the Pranksters several times.
  The Beatles got me interested in playing music,and their psychedelic
stuff
( I was the only one I knew who liked Revolution #9) along w/ Hendrix,who
saw at age 12, got me into weirdness.I've yet to recover.

http://newlivehotmail.com