Re: general question about equipment

Matthew,

it sounds like a laptop and Ableton Live would be a very worthwhile
investment for you, given the below.

You may not need any more software than this. Certainly, you could be
a long while just exploring the possibilities this gives you. However,
there are still things Live doesn't do, so if for example you want to
muck about with 30 second echoes you might want to budget for a couple
of plugins too.

If this is just for studio use, you might not need a MIDI controller.
I'd definitely recommend one for live use though. Also for studio use
if you want the laptop setup to become an instrument in its own right,
rather than just a studio tool.

cheers,
os.