Re: SF Bay Area "Live" Loopers

Hello Jessy, Pakusch from Norway here.

I have been listening in on this loopers list for a while. Much tech stuff
here. That is OK and very useful for those concerned. But I have been
waiting to see if also the more musical aspects will bee present. And
there
You are.
I'm living in Norway wich is close to San Francisco only in an
interplanetary sense, so I cant play a duet with You. But I may have a
something for You here in words.

...... some thoughts about sync and non-sync. I play in a group called
WintherStormer http://www.wintherstormer.no/ with two uge analog synth
station, a very analog percussionist and myself on guitar devices. And we
have come to be very clear on this: non-sync is more interesting. Let's
say
you set up an analog sequenser, wich is like a loop in a sense. Then I
would
place a loop on top of that totally non-sync and just let it dance with
randomness. Often these loops are in category soft background. But we get
staggering things going with hard rythmic things too. Like a boxing match.
You never know when or where You get hit next. Jaggering rythms of punchy
Noise.

I also do solo things. In a similar fasion I would typically set up two or
three different loops of some length ( 20sec) using my e-bow. Each loop
would be non equal in length and non sync. Strong melodic lines in
somewhat
challenging tonalitys: try Schillingers 3 octave symmetric. The result is
an
ever changing tone web with similarities to Fartein Valen, Schoenberg or
Mahler. Then I do things on top like vocoder guitar or different noise
stuff
like seawaves or birdsongs.

Conclusion: Sync is fine, but non sync can be just as interesting.

Pakusch