OT: technology of rack PCs with 2HU

Hey everyone,

as some people here have been talking about rack computers, here's a thing
that's baffling me:

I was thinking about building a 2HU rack computer. Because the expansion
cards don't fit into 2HU, you need to take care of that: I was told you use
a "riser card", which is something you put into a PCI slot and which then
has three (or so) PCI slots "around the edge".

Now my question: How would that work with PCIexpress? As that is a
point2point connection...

Thanks,

        Rainer