Re: Hassell

The Bay Area has a few people working in this realm -

Liz Allbee is a trumpet player who acoustically gets a lot of the Jon
Hassell sounds. She wasn't familiar with Hassell until too many people
were telling her she must be a fan. (Actually she isn't - Jon's a
little too new agey for her.) Liz is most comfortable doing improv
and/or noise music. Sometimes she uses a bunch of pedals, but the
technique is already there.

Polly Moller is a bass flautist who does some of the multiphonic stuff.

Kyle Bruckmann is someone who really rocks at this, and he's an oboe
player. He's got an amazing range for that instrument, and a ton of
techniques. One is to take it apart and make very computer-like white
noise sounds by blowing in different parts. He can also make sounds
that could very easily be mistaken for a synthesizer or laptop
computer, yet he's completely acoustic. One of his groups is called
Shudder - with sax player Phillip Greenlief and laptop computer person
Lance Grabmiller. http://www.myspace.com/shudder3

There's quite a bit more - more than half of the sax and clarinet
players in our little community have learned to use circular breathing
with their instruments.

Matt