Re: Looping and Latency (was Re: Laptop Looping)

On 25 aug 2007, at 19.18, rabbirabbifive wrote:

> That's why I monitor through Mobius- to keep the timing straight.
> Actually I always monitor through whatever program I'm using, and have
> for quite a while.  Easier to do accurate punch ins and so on.
>
> So yes, in a technical sense, monitoring through the program adds
> latency, but for me, it feels just the opposite.  It's monitoring the
> direct through the soundcard that throws me off.
>
> Anyone else feel this way?

No. A while back, when I used a TC Electronix Fireworx as the first
stage mic preamp and effect rack I always monitored directly from the
soundcard (going digitally from TC Electronix into sound card/
computer, so the AD latency happened in the TC). It worked out fine.
The rule is that if you have a full sound acoustically (pre laptop)
you may risk phasing errors if monitoring through the computer, if
the instruments acoustic sound is heard together with the delayed
monitor sound.

However, now I have been forced to sell off that TC device and I now
monitor through through the computer, through certain plug-ins that
shape my sound. It's just a little more latency but not worse than
stepping back two meters from a guitar amp while playing.

> That's why I monitor through Mobius- to keep the timing straight.

Mobius doesn't delay the signal, it's just a pass-through bridge.
Latency happens at three major stages: At the AD conversion when the
signal enters the software domain (digitalization), when passing
through certain plug-ins (not all, some plug-ins are able to process
the signal without delaying it) and finally at the DA conversion at
the sound card's output.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)