Re: RME Firewire 800 and Guitar Amp Sim - Preamps

> Plugging an electric guitar (with passive electronics) directly into the
> mixing board produces undesirable results because the mixer ins have a
>low
> impedance in the 1E2Ohm range. Passive electronics don't like that.

But that is sort of missing my point, because I believe that the circuitry
of the mixerboard
only addresses part of the problem. My argument, only from my own personal
perspective and requriements, is that the undesireableness has to do with
the fact
that what many people have come to recognize as a "nice" electric guitar
sound, is produced
from an amp, or at least a decent amp simulator.  There is nothing you are
going
to do with the EQ or impedence of a board to change this for me. It's the
original sound
source at question, not the circuitry that comes afterward. It's the "Crap
in, crap out"
phenomenon. Nothing is going to change my perspective on the sound of the
solid
body electric guitar plugged directly into a board. I've heard what it
sounds like in
multiple instances and boards, and inserts, $100,000 recording consuls,
etc...and there
is no way I am doing any gig with that setup, end of story. My ears know
the
difference,
especially if my gig has a strong jazz feel.

> Apart from that issue (which you can easily circumvent by using a DI
>box),
> it may have to do with your choice of sound.

Exactly. I am a tone freak.  I've played guitar for 28 years, through many
diverse genres,
and I know what I like. The sound of the solid body electric, direct into
any quality
of insert just appalls me.

Sometimes, I'm forced to play
> unprocessed (like at the y2k6loopfest main festival gig of which you'll
> find
> the recordings on the festival website) because my ampsim crashes, but I
> wouldn't call it crap apart from my own playing.

"crap" was my choice of subjective expressions, meaning "I don't likeeee".
:)

Kris