Re: im about to start a war

I'm not sure what your point is, actually - but if it's that everyone should go to a music-specific vendor to buy a laptop, I disagree strongly.  I only mentioned the 4GB limit because there was some discussion of 4GB machines in this thread, but the fact is that a music-specific laptop company would face the same configuration issue, and would need to understand your specific preferences (like - which apps are you going to use?  do they need more than 2GB of RAM per application? do they honor PAE extensions?) before they can configure it correctly.  And even once they do that, you'll likely need/want to change it as time passes.

I guess I'm saying that I don't believe anyone needs to be an "expert" to be able to purchase a laptop from a retail vendor and configure it for live music.  If you mean that people need to do research to ensure that they are buying the right capabilities, I absolutely agree.  But picking the right features, BIOS, and OS does not require a person to be a computer professional.  It's simpler than buying a car by a long shot.

Doug