Re: AW: another survey (wasRe: OT, but getting close to not-OT: guitar/sax improv sessions)

On Oct 6, 2007, at 7:28 AM, Rainer Thelonius Balthasar Straschill wrote:

> That being said...
>
>> 1) how many people on the list do solo non looping gigs?
> Mhmmm, is it a solo gig if I play piano and sing at the same time?
> I believe
> within the scope of your question, rather not. I played a few solo
> gigs in
> the past, most of them on the piano, although some on the trombone
> as well.
> Some of the piano gigs not with original material, though (jazz
> piano). Is
> it also considered "solo non looping" if I use a delay? A chorus?

Yes, though adding processing creates a different instrument/
approach than that on a "dry" instrument.  I should have been more
specific: "non processed/ natural/ dry/ naked" instrument.

>> 2) "the beauty of the single not line" - how many guitar
>> players/ players of multitimbral instruments can do an
>> improv. gig using only single note lines and hold an
>> audiences attention? for how long?
> I never tried that on the piano. I believe on the piano it might be
> even
> harder than on the guitar, because you don't have that many means
> of putting
> expression into a single note (bending, volume pedal, vibrato,...)

Something to explore (?) .....