Re: Peter Boysen and Instant Multiply

On 12 okt 2007, at 23.01, Andre' Donawa wrote:

> I came across this thread and wondered how you use instant multiply.
>

> "A third way is to use the Instant Multiply function. I like that for
> setting up drum loops by vocal beatboxing on one track. Start out
> with a simple one bar beat. Hit "next loop" (with "Copy Sound"
> activated) and while the same audio is now playing back in this new
> loop you hit Instant Multiply to make it three or four times longer,
> just in time so you can punch in a fill at the last quarter note or
> so. With the latest Mobius version these settings (that used to be
> global) can be defined as track unique settings. So if you want, you
> can have your own set-up with tracks behaving a little differently,
> thus allowing you to use specific looping techniques on certain
> tracks. Lots of fun to be had with that :-)"
>
> This seems closer to the way I would use Mobius.
> Is it a script?
> Do you have a configuration setup for this?

I'm not Peter but I will try to answer this. Instant Multiply is a
default action and not a script. The command immediately (or
according to set quantize value) makes the loop longer. There are
three lengths: multiply by 2, 3 or 4. Mobius now also has Instant
Division that shortens a loop according to the same three divisors. I
have no particular configuration only for these commands, although I
use them all the time. In seconds you can set up a poly rhythm
between parallel loops on different tracks by combining 2 or 4 with
3. Sometimes I set up such a poly rhythmic context of empty loops
before starting to fill them up with quantized SUSSubstitute slices
of short duration. If Focus Locking a such two or three "poly rhythm"
tracks the immediate loop playback will be different than what you
played on your live instrument. Another fun way of using Instant
Divide is to minimize the loop until it's microscopical. Try it and
see what happens. Experiment with high feedback setting, wobbling
rate from an expression pedal etc etc - do it all in Overdub Mode.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)
www.looproom.com (international)