Need time sync explained

If using looping in a band not using any sequencing, say a rockband with
no keyboards, any looper will be free running in it's own tempo, AFAICT.
Don't think the looper cares about the band chemistry ;)

As a guitar player, I'd want not having to preset bpm's, but just tap
when I feel like it, after which the looper need to keep it sync.
Yup, you can tell I have no looper!
I may go for a HW looper, but drift more'n'more towards a SW solution on
a labmactop, probably as a pluging, to integrate with Logic's MainStage.

I'm studying http://www.krispenhartung.com/software-looping.htm ATM..

So, how to sync?  sensors on the drum kit into.. something generating
MIDI sync info?

--
rgds,
van Sinn