Re: Shepard tone

Typically the signal fades in as it starts at one end and fades out as it reaches the other end, so you don't hear abrupt starts and stops. I think PAIA electronics used to sell a kit that could be used to make 4 of these functions with an analog synth. It would output 4 sawtooth waves 90 degrees out of phase that you could use to control the frequency of 4 oscillators. It also output 4 triangle waves that you could use to fade them up and down using VCAs as the frequencies changed.

Yeah, I like that part on Echoes where they do that with what sounds like slowed down human voices! Cool.

Ever listen to the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy radio show? There is a part where they are being, um, BOMBARDED by the bird people of Brontital. The sounds they use for the bird people are very much like the voices on Echoes. Douglas Adams was a big Pink Floyd fan. I digress, as usual.

Mark Smart
http://www.marksmart.net