Re: very special floor-based looper

Ah, don't get me started, Rainer. :)  The idea below looks cool, but also
gives me
a head ache with Excedrin all over it. In terms of computer systems, I am
pretty
much at what I consider my ideal solution right now: I plug my guitar into
the
Firewire 400, into my laptop, and into max/msp with my Kaiser looper and
tons of effects from Reaktor, my own max patches, etc. I can't think of a
better solution, even a hardware alternative. The system below seems far
too
complicated for me and just drives me deeper into the computer and more
connections.

I'm not ditching computer systems, but I am basically looking to build
a new system that is more simple. These days, I am seeking more
simplicity in my life. I am trying to get closer to my instrument, focus
on the beauty and purity of the guitar tone itself, and then just add
sophisticated looping. I work at the computer 10-14 hours a day, and
sometimes the last thing I want to look at when performing is another
computer. Sometimes I dream of a day when I go to a looping performance
or future Y2K event, and it do nothing but plug my guitar into a floor
unit and maybe my Boss VF-1...nothing else...no booting up a computer,
launching programs, plugging in audio interface wires, FCB, etc...just the
guitar
floor looper, and one device for reverb/delay, etc...something I can setup
in
about 2 minutes.  I just happened to be obsessed with this idea of
simplicity
and short setup time right now.

I have to say, at Y2K7 this year, when I lost my MIDI control after
9 minutes and 30 seconds into my first piece (here my sound clip on
the Y2K7 we site), and then I decided to play solo free jazz guitar style
for the last 4 minutes (no loops, effects, or crazy tone mangling), that
was
a very liberating and yet enlightening 4 minutes. And I was even more
surprised
when I stopped and had explained to the audience what had happened - that
had
decided to continue playing with the tools I possessed rather than stopping
and blaming the glitch in my performance on the technology - and everyone
applauded.  Interesting to get an applause at a looping festival for
something
that involved no looping, but the technological failing of a looping
system.
In any event, that experience, combined with watching Philippe Zurrigo at
Y2K5, after he had lost his EDP, and then pulled off a brilliant
performance
with just his guitar, a borrowed EDP with limited functionality, has been
growing on me for a long time. It made me long again for the days when I
used to just plug my guitar into an amp and play jazz, but now with some
sophisticated looping technology.  I keep threatening to go back to my
roots,
yet also keep getting seduced by the technology, effects, Reaktor, max/msp,
etc.  It's made me rather artistically neurotic. Certainly, many of you on
this
list have observed me vacillating back and forth on this point.

Well, I digress, and back to the topic, it appears the Boomerang III,
whenever
the hell they decide to stop teasing us and release it, has the potential
be
the most feature filled floor looper. I am intrigued by the expression
pedal
jack on the back and what it can control. If it can be assigned to changing
pitch in real-time, that unit will be very attractive....and especially if
the
MIDI connections can be connected to something like a MIDI Moose
to access more features beyond the two bonus buttons on the unit.
And three separate loops tracks, each with record/overdub capability
is more than enough growing room for creating interesting textures and
sounds.

Kris

on the technology,