Re: informal poll

At 1:08 PM -0500 11/15/07, Nemoguitt@aol.com wrote:
>a question for anyone who played y2k7 and the just finished london fest
>
>1. is your set up laptop or hardware  (no need to get too
>philosophical.....:))

Both.  But my laptop went down before I got a chance to use it (see
below) so my set actually ended up hardware-only.

>2. did you at any point in your set (s) have problems with your "kit"

Yes.  My first number was solely hardware (VG-99 & Looperlative).  I
was going to use the laptop only as a sound source (I had a few
VSTi's booted for use via MIDI).  But when I went to bring up the
laptop's audio channel, no sound.  :P

I spent about 15 seconds (seemed like an eternity) before punting the
laptop and moving on, continuing with the hardware-only setup.  And
that's why you always have multiple backup plans.

After the performance, I figured out it was Ableton Live that had
screwed me.  Due to the compressed set up schedule, I had set up the
laptop ahead of time then put it to sleep.  However, about twenty
minutes after that, I realized there was one quick tweek I needed to
make.  So I opened the lappie, made the edit and put it back to sleep
again.  Unfortunately, I woke up the laptop without having the
interface attached.  Ableton noticed that there was no soundcard, and
killed all audio output without giving me any warning.  Later, I set
up the computer with the soundcard once more attached, but the audio
engine was already disabled, so no sound came out.

This would've taken all of five seconds to fix, had Live bothered to
warn me (which it usually does).  I'd imagine my second number
would've been a little less "wandering" if I hadn't had to spend a
couple minutes figuring out what the hell I was gonna play.  Such is
the charm of Live Looping, however.  ;)

        --m.
--
_____
"I want to keep you alive so there is always the possibility of