Re: Amp/P.A. Recommendation

Per Boysen wrote:

> I ran a search on "JBL Eon" and found this Brittish 500 W active KAM
> IMS15A speakers that are said to beat the JBL. Company site at
> http://www.kam.co.uk/. I found a Swedish dealer is selling the KAMs for
> half the price now, some sort of introduction campaign it seems. USD 467
> each that would translate.

depends what you mean by "beat".
The usual considerations are

Could just mean they are louder.

(and they make disco stuff, if you ever heard a uk disco that's scary)

> I played on a Bose at the Santa Cruz loopfest last year and thought they
> really sounded good. I played flute and sax that time and especially
> appreciated not having a monitor speaker at my feet. Such spot monitors
> are good when you play with loud rock bands but for live looping you
> really need to listen to the full public output to play what fits in -
> Bose.

Totally agreed, for Norwich Loopfest I set up the jbls behind the
performers.
....perfect monitoring.

> Andy - why are you wary of separate sub speakers?

It all started with Sub Woofers, a speaker that handled sounds that full
range speakers couldn't reasonably reproduce. That would be in the 20-40Hz
range. With those it didn't matter that they had a separate enclosure.
Those sounded like a lot of fun.

Now the "sub" woofers take on the lower frequencies that would otherwise
be handled by the woofer in full range speaker, allowing high volumes of
"hit you in the chest" 50-100Hz frequencies( or higher). These "Sub"
woofers (really they are just woofers) use resonance to boost the volume,
which makes for a slow uneven bass response.
So the "doesn't matter where you put it" theory no longer applies.

So far, I didn't hear a set-up like that which I thought sounded good.
Though price per price there may be an advantage.

andy butler