Re: goodbye Karlheinz

Michael Peters wrote:
> saddened to hear that my neighbour (he lived a mile from here) Karlheinz
> Stockhausen has just died. I saw him every summer during his annual
> Stockhausen composition courses - no I didn't participate but there were
> interesting concerts every night. He was a genius, I can see that
>although I
> didn't like most of his pieces :-)
>
> Michael www.michaelpeters.de

My brother played a world premiere of one of his pieces years ago, one
of the days of "Licht," I believe. Apparently he had an almost
pathological sense of tempo. His scores sometimes contain tempo markings
like 96 1/2 bpm; he could accurately detect minuscule differences in
tempo, and would complain if the group was playing even the slightest
bit differently from what was marked. The rhythmic version of perfect
pitch, I guess.

Brian