Re: midi controlled looping video on itunes

hmmm...it should work everywhere since there are no right issues. did
the link wrap at all? sorry about that!

i think when i saw you in italy per, that was the very first time i'd
used ableton onstage (or even a computer for that matter!). it was so
recent that i hadn't had time to re-map my songs from foot control.
but that is why i bought ableton. i tend to do things
gradually...change one or two things for each performance. so first i
incorporated the computer, using it as an expensive mixer. then i got
used to that and starting mapping the midi of some of my songs
through ableton. i did the transition  gradually song by song, so
that if something went really wrong onstage, i could still do things
the old way.

i think one of the pieces i performed at loopfest 2006 was performed
with midi sequencing through ableton (i remember chatting in the
hallway with bill walker about how i did it). but the last few months
is the first time i've almost completely taken the foot controller
out of the picture for new pieces... i only use it to let the
computer know when to start the next musical section, or if things go
wrong (half way through the first piece in that video, something did
go wrong. i think midipipe, the weakest link in my chain, did not
translate a midi command going from ableton to one of the repeaters,
so i took over and went into manual mode with my feet). i like this
new mode of working because i don't have to spend so much time
practicing what button to press when, now i can just play the goddamn
cello (although have to keep tabs on the status of things out of the
corner of my eye).

it's interesting that now, i have to make sure that i arrange the
pieces to create "believability". i could easily set ableton to
record everything i'm doing and then fire those parts back, with any
other part, at any time. but i've noticed that with my music, it is
important for the audience to be able to follow what part i'm
recording when. their experience is different if they are confused or
if they think parts are pre-recorded. and with midi sequenced
looping, it is a bit too easy to create an "unbelievable"
arrangement. so i build in a few into the piece pauses for them to
hear each phrase repeat after i've recorded it. i expect that as
audiences get more accustomed to non-linear looping, their perception
will change. i've noticed a huge difference in the audience's
knowledge of "how stuff works" just from early 2006 to today.

interesting musical times these are! augustus loop i like, but i find
the interface hard to monitor. i've got my hopes pinned on the
repeater software, but i'm already wondering how i'll monitor the
status of that while i've got ableton going on. with ableton +
hardware, i can quickly see the status of both. but there is only so
much screen real-estate. we'll see how it pans out.

what is EWI??