Re: If you were going to buy just one Mic...

For Studio.

Nevaton CM51. ( pricey,  $1000 or so)
It's a multipattern condenser with a medium sized diaphragm. (omni fig8
etc)
Incredibly detailed, full sound with just a subtle hint high frequency
lift.
A large diaphragm condenser is never quite as good for off axis sounds,
and while they can sound amazing, they're not all purpose.
A small diaphragm gives more accurate response, especially off axis, but
doesn't have the big sound.
The Nevaton is Russian, but costs a bit more than the Octavas( which I
have and like)
and easily beats them for sound.
Good on vocals(with pop filter of course).
Amazing to use a pair to capture a drum kit.

Sounds good even if you don't bother to position it.

For Stage, and places you wouldn't risk a condenser.
Sennheiser 421.
Works for vocals much better than the SM58, you don't have to waste the
mid eq on the mixer to get rid of the muddy 200Hz range. Has a variable
high pass to remove lows if that's a problem.

Works on a kick drum (good lf response and survives high sound pressure).

One of the standard mics for use on a guitar cab.

I've used one to record a whole drum kit, good enough for a demo.

Cheaper
Get an Octava for recording.
For live I'd check out some sort of Sennheiser.

andy butler