Re: AW: If you were going to buy just one Mic...

> Talking about the Octavas:
> I heard numerous reports of a high quality/parameter spread with the
>Octavas
> - this is due to the fact that their electronic circuits are built with
>the
> components which are just available at the time of build.
> So you either have to get like 10 pieces from the shop and find which
>one is
> best, or rely on a reseller which will replace the electronics.

yep, the 219s are very variable, due to the metal grid in front of the
capsule.

The variability is more of an issue if you want a stereo pair.

...but I have 2 of the 219s, and 2 of the 012 sets with 3 capsules each
they all sound pretty good.

> The Sennheisers:
> Personally, I only use one Sennheiser mic (e902, I'm more of a Beyer guy,
> and that has also to do with the fact that their dynamic mikes are still
> somewhat of a secret weapon, hence used prices e.g. for a M88N are in the
> same range as those for a Beta58...), but this MD421 has an exorbitant
>price
> tag - is it really that good?

Most studios seem to think they're worth the price.
In the 60's and 70's a lot of top vocalists used them, watch those old
clips and whenever there's a great vocal sound it's usually from the 421.
Wasn't it the Temptations who had gold plated 421s?

...and John Entwhistle used 421s on his bass cab.

...they were the vocal mics for the Grateful Dead's famed "wall of sound"
pa

..but the point is, you can even use it on a kick drum.

So it's the only mic you can use on absolutely anything.

Oh, and thanks for the Beyer tip.

andy