Re: OT: no power

At the start of Aug '03 blackout that hit Ontario, NY, etc. and put 50million people in the dark, my wife and I didn't even notice - I was playing my double bass and she was spinning wool on her (manual) spinning wheel.  We were already 17th century and weren't affected by the loss of juice! ;-)

It took us about two hours to realize that something was up and didn't know the extent of it until we sat in the car and listened to the radio (the only news source that would work).

We went out for a walk that night with the dog and it seemed that tons of people were out, too, just casually strolling around.  It was weird to hear how quiet a city could be and how friendly people could became.

ted.

stanitarium@earthlink.net wrote:
sorta reminds me of SF, CA. in '89 after the earthquake-no power-no water-no nothin. i had my '63 strat out on the steps of my building at dusk, playin-it sounded so cool-no other sound around in downtown major city-
somebody walked by while i was playin and said-'whataya gonna plug into now'...i jus kept on astrummin...
good luck

>hi loopers,
>well, we were sorely hit by the california storms last week and have
>been without power since thursday.
>it's hard to say what i miss the most: heat, showering, internet
>access or looping.
>i'm plugged in at an internet cafe about 10 miles from home and its
>awfully nice to read all the looping news and think about something
>else!
>appreciatively,
>zoe

"Indeed, naturally I think that a film should have a beginning, middle, and an end — but not necessarily in that order." Jean Luc Goddard