NAMM:Saturday and Sunday

Oooops,  I wrote this two days ago and was so tired I forgot
to post it.  Here's my NAMM wrapup:

***********
Monday, January 21st

Bill and I just drove back from NAMM last night, making good time we
loaded out at 5 p.m. and were on the road by 5:20 which is pretty fast.
We made it back to Santa Cruz by a little after midnight,  exhausted
completely.

NAMM is always fun and chaotic in the last hour of the show:
Many merchandisers just don't want to have to take a lot of their
gear home so they sell it really cheaply.

Consequently, there is a feeding frenzy of people trying to buy cheap
instruments
dealing with all of the people who are truly burnt out by four or five days
of continual noise and schmoozing.

I made out like a bandit and got an alto strumstick, a chromatic tenor
strumstick and a really funny little flying V miniature electric guitar
(for
$65!).

Also, at the end of the show,  the two Chinese vendors who listened to us
demo all weekend long came over and gave Bill and I each a little clip on
chromatic tuner as a gift.    It was really sweet and it really touched us.

They, and a lot of vendors, had to sit in their booth that sold miniature
tuners and metronomes for long hours at a time.

I'm always sensitive to the fact that the vendors on either side of demo
booths have to put up with the music being played hour after hour as a
captive
audience, so I made sure I went to all three of the vendors next and
across
from us to
apologize to them if it ever got too much.

Kim Flint had told Bob Amstadt earlier that he had gone over the whole NAMM
show and our booth had the weirdest music of the entire show.

LOL,  what a great compliment,  but I was worried at whether straighter,
captive audiences would appreciate it, but was really surprised that they
universally thanked us for
the music and said it made the show much more enjoyable.

That makes a lot of sense with the beautiful music of my brother Bill (who
was on fire with this slide playing through the looperlative),  Steve
Lawson
and Lobelia,
but I really felt good that my found sound, orange plastic
madness was also cool to them.

Bob and Looperlative had a really good show with a lot of orders and a lot
of interest. Guitar Player columnist (and fellow looper),   Barry
Cleveland
came by the
booth and interviewed Bill while he and I were playing for the Guitar
Player
Video Blog so we look
forward to seeing that online.

We had luminaries like Lyle Workman (Sting, Beck, composer of 'SuperBad'
and
"40 Year Old Virgin" soundtracks) and Jerry Marotta (Peter Gabriel, Tony
Levin, et. al.)
come by and check out the demos so that was exciting.

I got my first taste of the Gordius,  which is a really powerful midi
controller,  but it was too dilfferent from the
FCB 1010 for me to get comfortable with it in real time, so I switched back
to the FCB for Saturday and Sundays shows.

Tell me,  why can't an American company put out a midi foot controller with
room for a couple of expression pedals that doesn't take up such a large
footprint?
All the good ones are now no longer made.

The Gordius is really hip, but we're just being slaughtered by the weak
dollar in Europe now so you really have to be financially solvent to get
one.

The FCB 1010 is great but it's just too big for touring of any kind.

********
Let's see, what else?       There was a hip stomp box company called
HOTHAND
that had a wireless ring controller with a bright blue LED in it
that enables a guitarist (or anyone) to control parameters in their pedals
like cutoff frequency,  depth of effects,  amount of distortion.  The CC
controller also can send midi messages to other effects with other
companies.   The demoing guitarist had it hooked up to a Digitech Red
Whammy
Pedal with a midi input and was controlling the 2 octave sweep with this
finger like a theremin................how cool is that?

Loopers are always looking for ways to make their performances interesting
and this bright blue LED lit ring is really arresting.
At around $120 for the ring and wireless assembly and with effects ranging.

*******
NAMM DAYGLO PLASTIC REPORT:
There was also,   and this probably only excites me,  a hell of a lot of
Dayglo stuff at the show as well.
I bought two translucent lime green guitar stands that are bright under UV
light;  a set of of bright dayglo lime green 5 string Bass guitar
strings,  a couple of bright Orange plastic drumsticks.

********
Oh yeah, I also got to debut the  Pro Chopper pedal for GiG-FX as the first
endorsement I have with this innovative company and was really pleased with
this sophisticated tremelo box.

It has two sides,  one a square wave tremelo effect and one a more sine
wavey tremelo effect that you can play separately or in tandem (which
can allow for some really cool polyrhythmic possibilities which I used to
good advantage in my show.   Combined with the Looperlatives
'Random Scramble' function I had some very hip 'slice and dice'
capabilities
with my loops..........an aesthetic I'm really fond of.

You also have the option of using the incredibly smooth and quiet
expression
pedal on the unit (in a attractive, compact and sturdily built but not
heavy
case) to either change the speed of the tremelo or to just trigger it as an
on off pedal.

The kicker is that the machine also has a midi IN function that allows one
to control the tremelo speed (in increments of multiples of two)
of a looper that spits out a midi clock.     I didn't have a chance to try
this as I just got the pedal the day before I drove to NAMM, but
this is very exciting to me.   In essence,  it has a capability simlar to
the 'quantize' function in the EDP of driving rhythmic ostinato rhythms
that are synced to your midi synced Loop.     As soon as I recover from the
weekend I'll begin trying that out.

I'm also eager to try out their MegaWah (which also functions as a really
good, smooth and quiet volume pedal) and their
VOD pedal which is a three increment Distortion pedal with a ton of control
over eq and timbre of the distortion.

These all look good, have a small footprint and are really high quality
pedals designed by the accopmlished guitarist Jeff Purchon
case)