Re: Posted song: fretless guitar whipping up chords by looping

On Jan 30, 2008 5:06 AM, Doug Cox <uncledig@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Per!
>
> Got it.  The levels adjustment is critical - my first experiments with
>this
> were overloading my output.

LOL! I did that too ;-))

> My approach has been to use different "Presets" and to use the Rate
>Sequence
> (sometimes Pitch Sequence - but as we've discovered, this has timing
>issues)
> in the "Effects" tab to define the steps that each track will take.  It's
> interesting to then mix and match these presets.  I've got a different
> script that does 2, 3 and 4 loop captures similar to how you describe.

Interesting. We use different ways to achieve similar results.

Some related interesting stuff:

It just entered my mind that if I put my four "percolator tracks", of
Mobius, into Overdub Mode with some 80 percent Feedback it all works
just like that awesome AU plug-in Crossfade Loop Synth/FX from Expert
Sleepers. That plug-in also has a setting to automatically reverse the
loops after one playback round - so the go
forwards-backwards-forwards-backwards etc etc. I decided to keep the
reverse option manual in Mobius though.

The looper Logelloop (OS X) can also do this "percolating preset"
thing, where you step between different chordal harmony speed shifted
settings by pedals. One difference is the in Logelloop you don't
manipulate four loops but rather four layers of the same loop.
Logelloop is more like the Repeater; it has 10 tracks but it's still
one loop, although tracks can be multiplied to different lengths. On
the pro side is that you get the granular real-time sampler and step
sequencer plug-in Granulaterre that soon will sync (in time) to the
loops as well as to preset changes. So you can run parallel presets in
Granulaterre that go into compatible "chord harmonies" when you
speed/pitch your loop. Another thing I like with Logelloop is that
speed/rate shifting can be done in a smoothly gliding manner without
stuttering up or down that half-note ladder. You can for example do
the THX Sound Jingle thing by overdubbing a loop of ten layers/tracks
playing the same long note. Then you kick in a preset for speed/rate
shifting into a chord with the looper set to morph slowly into the new
preset, which means all pitches with slowly glide towards their new
positions in the upcoming preset. Very cool ! :-)

--
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)