Re: tools

On Feb 6, 2008 3:58 PM, Raul Bonell <raul.bonell@gmail.com> wrote:

> So you say that most oh these old techs work the same when
> applied to live-looping. I think this level needs a lot of practice

Definitely. But if you're used to mixing, just reverse the process
when looping. Apply treatments to sound BEFORE recording them instead
of AFTER as you do in mixing.

> The more complex your music gets the more you will be mixing instead of
> playing.
>
> Maybe this is why you limited your available Mobius track to just 4 or 5
>of
> the 8 possible, isn't?... Mono or stereo?

Yes, that's right. I do like mixing as well but not mixing mixing with
playing ;-))
BTW, lately I've started using all 8 tracks in Mobius, but then I
treat them "en masse" by scripts. One advance in splitting parts over
many loops is that you can record them at different lengths so they
will play back together with more variation.

> Maybe with track groups/focus lock and mute in mobius, samplerstyle/mute
>in
> EDP and mobius too,...
>
> I'd be interested to know how some of you face this need.

With Mobius I keep the Mute Track commands on the computer's F-keys.
Just as the default of Ableton Live. Just be sure to free up the
F-keys from being used by the system.

Then I use the upper row of number keys for Focus Lock. This means I
can use my index finger to slide it right across 7 tracks, if I want
to target a command for all those track's loops in one blow.

In Mobius default settings I have tailored my own setup regarding
which commands shall follow Focus Lock and Group settings and which
commands that shall not. For example, I use that to work on one track
while let's say five other tracks are in Focus Lock Mode. With my
preferences settings SUSSubstitute will affect both the selected track
AND all Focus Locked track's loops. But my script for SUSSubstituting
bass notes (by Rate Shift +12 each time I substitute) will only affect
the selected track and not the Focus Locked. This way I can instantly
create a bass line (selected track) and a poly rhythmic (given the
Focus Locked tracks are not the same length or differently rate
shifted) percussive multi voice part. That's just one example. If you
think about it you may find others that work better for you.

--
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)