Film music rights

"but would they not pay their
> crew?"
Yes -they call it an internship,and offer credits. This is  extremely common in the burgeoning Indie film world,and in the music biz in general.In the worst cases Interns who sign on to learn and get their foot in the door, develop contacts,  take out trash,get coffee,do shit work, mundane stuff etc,and learn little about the biz.
  I see calls everyday for camera and sound people ,gaffers ,grips etc for no money .

You know, I kind of like the part in "space" when the audience turns around and wonders, "What am I doing here?"  Jerry Garcia