Re: Triggering EDP via drum machine (SR16)

On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 2:53 PM, Marco Coblenz <maracox@hotmail.de> wrote:

> I plan to invest in a Gibson Echoplex Digital Pro. One main application I
> want to use it for are rhythmical loops that evolve via short quantized
> replace/substitute/insert actions. I want those actions to be performed
> automically via Midi using a pattern sequencer. More specifically I would
> use an alesis SR16 drum machine for the trigger patterns and assign midi
> notes to the pads. The SR16 sends an midi on and then midi off event with
> pressing a pad.
>
> My question is, would it work like this? Can someone tell by experience?
>Are
> there sync or other problems? Would the SR16 work in this szenario or
>should
> I use a different tool and which? Did someone has a similar application
>or
> variation of it but used different means? Any tips and tricks?

This would work, sort of. There are some quirks though. It might be a
bit tricky to set up the drum machine for sending the correct MIDI
note numbers for the EDP action you want ( my guess: SUSSubstitute?).
The EDP has a fixed range of note numbers assigned to its actions and
this total range can then be off-set by any interval. If the SR16 can
be programmed with just about any MIDI notes as patterns you are
pretty well set, but if not you have to first compare your needed EDP
actions with the available sequencer pattern notes before being able
to tell if it's going to work. As you are saying, another field of
possible problems is the fact that most drum machines also send out a
MIDI Note on pressing any button, but if you don't use those
particular notes in your control sequence patterns you should be able
to filter them out on the way between the drum machine and the EDP.

Others have been using the EDP "auto-triggered" by MIDI sequence
patterns before; Claude Voit was pioneering this, I think. So can be
done.

--
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen