OT: question about how to connect active guitar pickups with batteries

Hi,

I have two awesome Bill Lawrence active guitar pickups that I bought
in -88, and if course I can't find the paper manual to check out how I
shall connect them. I think they are humbuckers in a technical sense
but they fit into strat type single coil pickup holes. Anyway, the
difficult point is that these things need two 9 v batteries in order
to function and I'm just wondering if anyone knows right off the top
of your head where the plus vs minus pole of the pickups respective
both batteries should go? The toggle switch just makes too much noise
so I'm thinking about throwing it away and hard-solder the pickups
into the parallel position. A minute ago I was getting busy with this
but found that at least one of the batteries always gets almost as
warm as my soldering iron...

--
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen