RE: Laptops again

> As far as video, I'm talking about live image manipulation so I'm not
> sure what I would need to pull that off successfully (beside the
> talent I suppose).

I don't have any experience with this.  If no one here chimes in you
might try posting something to a "VJ" forum or if you have software
in mind like this:

   http://www.garagecube.com/modul8/

ask them what their minimum system would be.

> I'm pretty sure the Macs would take care of my needs just fine so I
> guess my only real question is if there is a cheaper PC route that
> would be as effective.  So far it sounds hit or miss as far as they're
> concerned.

In general, a comparably configured PC laptop will cost less than a
Mac laptop.  I haven't done an exhaustive study but there seems
to be about a $300 to $500 premium on Macs.

However since there are so many brands and configuration options with
PCs it can be hit or miss to find something that works well with
audio.  At the $1300 price point of the Macbook I'm sure you could
find a PC that would spec out better (or be the same and cheaper).
But you will have to do a bit more homework.

> Anyone have any thoughts about buying used?

Personally I wouldn't do this for a computer I was going to
rely on for live performance.  Maybe for a factory refurbished
model with support from the manufacturer but not from "fasteddie42"
on eBay.

Jeff