RE: AW: Another research paper!

Rainer thanks for your response!

> first a hint to "new to this list" persons in general (and to you). We
> normally prefer plain text posts (as opposed to HTML content).

Forgot that hotmail doesn't do plain text by default, hopefully this is
sorted in this mail...

> (main part)
> although you made use of capital spelling, it was not always clear to me
>if
> you referred to the device or the musician when you mentioned "Looper". I
> would suggest that you begin with a clear disambiguation at the beginning
> (e.g. "looper" is the device and "Looper" the musician).

Thanks for spotting this, I'll define my use of the terms at least. An
attempt to define the terms generally might be fraught with opposition...

> (the "critical response" bit)
> Although you use the word "often" in your opening sequence in this
> paragraph, the remainder does not make that clear. It seems to me that
>the
> message here is that looping technology (as an instrument or as a skill)
> becomes only relevant when used live, as using it will give you the same
> result as using a multi-track recorder or sequencer.
>
> While this is true for a lot of artists, and most of the looping art
>could
> also be done in very cumbersome ways using a DAW, I see a difference here
> between the "looper for multi-part/multi-instrumental" approach and the
> "whacky looping", where the looper is not only used to simply play back
> parts of the performance as a backdrop for soloing, rather is used to
>create
> new sounds and textures (think Andre LaFosse).
>
> For that reason, I would either rephrase that last paragraph to clearly
>make
> that destinction, or to drop it completely.

I think it was the thought of LaFosse that made me less confident about
that last bit. I think maybe saying that all looped music could be
produced on recordings without looping technology is probably the wrong
phrasing. Maybe emphasising that without knowledge of the technology a
listener only has the music to go by. I'm not sure if there is a point I'm
trying to make here yet...

I may post again with updates etc.

Thanks again for your response!

Darren

The next generation of Windows Live is here
http://www.windowslive.co.uk/get-live