AW: OT? Laptops on the PC side

> > how
> > about recommendations for a PC laptop for use with live
> audio and live
> > video processing (probably not at the same time).
>
> Stay away from shared video memory.
> Get plenty of RAM, 2 - 4 GB.
> Get a firewire or PCMCIA based audio interface.
> Make sure the drivers for the audio interface works with Vista.
> Make sure the software you plan to run works with Vista.

I would stay away from Vista as well for the time being.
Anything more than 2GB will not make that much sense for a 32bit Windows
OS,
so you might (see below) consider XP64.

Lots of (PC) laptops don't have firewire interfaces, and some of them have
some that don't work perfectly - try before you buy (with the audio
interface of your choice).

PCMCIA and support for it is slowly fading, so your best interface choice
would probably be firewire.

Re XP64: You'll need specific 64-bit drivers for any hardware device you
use
- unless the driver is based on a generic driver which is part of the OS.
These are exceptions, so the "most of the time" rule is: check beforehand,
whether the hardware you're looking for has 64bit drivers.

        Rainer