Re: Robert Rich article

Interesting for sure, thanks Tony. I had two reactions. The first was,
that's hopeful. 1000 fans is a foreseeable goal, over years of course,
for anyone who's making good music and getting out there.

The second was, that's depressing. He details his relationship with his
close fans and the difficulty of riding the balance between surprising
fans with something in a style they won't like, or giving them exactly
what they expect and risking them becoming bored. That's exactly the
internal discussion I wish to avoid. Being mindful of one's livelihood
at the moment of creation is the way to artistic death, to be
melodramatic. Art as simple product is product, not art.

(and yeah, I know the Beatles used to say "let's write ourselves a
swimming pool", but hell...they were the Beatles!)

Daryl Shawn
www.swanwelder.com
www.chinapaintingmusic.com