Re: Research Paper Chapter 2 Part One DRAFT - Any feedback greatlyappreciated!

darren perry wrote:
> Thanks for your reply Andy! And thanks for shedding light on your actual
>methods. I'd be interested to know if the combinations I suggested could
>achieve the same results,
>purely in this small section of music...?

'fraid not

It would make real sense if Undo worked in that intuitive way,
but with the EDP it doesn't.
Maybe in the future someone will make a looper that works that way.

>There are a couple of parts I'm unsure about: a) there's the
>InsertMode=Reverse, would it work like this?

A lot of EDP "states" have alternate endings, so you're not that far off
tack.
Indeed, in Loop3 if you used Reverse as an ending to Multiply you could
cut the loop
in the same way.

Then in Loop4 the alternate endings became more sophisticated, so a
Multiply
which was ended by an alternate method would still be rounded
(the cycle length would remain the same).

..but to get back to the point, Overdub does not have alternate endings,
if you hit
Reverse (using the InsertMode=Reverse or otherwise) you just keep on
overdubbing over
the Reversed loop.

>and b) the Undo part...?

Again this is not possible, Undo never changes the length of the loop.
(and Undo doesn't work on a loop after it's reversed)
Once you cut a loop into a snipplet you've changed the cycle length,
so there's no quick way "back".
That's why I copy to loop2, allowing the original loop to remain intact.

> It would be nice to be able to keep this section as it is with the
>addition of 'this is how he actually does it...' but seems I might have
>to do some rewriting.

Well, the musical analysis part was spot on,
I hadn't even realized that the last repeat of the reversed loop only ran
for 3 beats.

best regards

andy butler