Re: Bob Brozman

Rick,

Actually, all those trance-inducement practices depend on their mutual
abilities to trigger the appropriate brain-wave activity (I did a fair
bit of research on the central/west African and eastern South American
[read: Brazil] traditions, as well as the Caribbean ones, both from
the musical and socio-anthropological points of view,  as an
undergrad) ... while the "manifestations" appear different (internal
vs. external, mental vs. physical, etc.,) those can pretty easily be
attributed to the culturally different "set" of the trance-induction
situation itself. Musically, or should I say
physio-psycho-acoustically, the same things are happening in all of
the traditions.

BTW, the two traditions I initially started studying were Candomble
and Umbundu ... despite the use of syncopation in those tradtions, the
essential bass rhythm and frequencies were there and were found to be
the trigger. That got me looking elsewhere pretty quickly.

It all comes down to brainwaves. If you can train in on those, you can
trigger it.

After all, remember what the dormouse said ...

Dennis, who gave up drumming a very long time ago