Re: Looping philosophy

Well... The anthropologist is me hehe...well, honours degree level anyway.
I am doing a practical project on implementing live-looping in my
percussion setup but since I have found myself in the ethnomusicology
department I'm sort of building bridges. Trying to keep to the loopy
concept of the project and still comment on society, technology,
identity and the like.
 Since my my research is largely self-analysis,documenting the
learning progress produces a strange dilemma. The participant-observer
researcher who finds himself researching himself...as "I" am my main
informant.  one finds oneself in a feedback of reference since I am
referencing my own ideas and thoughts on learning etc..  Very strange.
So this is where branch off into perception of the self and
consiousness manifested in the form of a feedback loop.
Douglas Hofstadter has new book entitled "I am a strange loop" and he
goes into this quite deeply.His best seller, Godel, escher, bach has
ben captivating me. Really indepth look at feedback loops in every
sense.
As an anthropologist "Identity" is such a large discourse and I just
think its fascinated to explore identity in relation to a feedback
loop. how much of this I will do i this essay is still up in the air,
but I did find a great book called y Cultural Software
J. M. Balkin
Yale University Press 1998
Online version at website at http://www.balkin.com
He goes into theories of culture using the metaphor of software. Us
being endowed with "toolmaking tools" and this being a basis for his
theories of conflict and other anthropology type discouses mainly
related to Ideology and everything surrounding the conceptions of
that.Got some great stuff with regards to self reference in there.
.
 "Feedback Processes:
An Investigation Into Non-linear Electronic Music."
Master's thesis, Middlesex University. URL
http://knut.klingt.org/docs/Knut%20Aufermann%20MA%20Sonic%20Arts.pdf.
pdf. Another paper I found has got some good feedback loop philosophy.

What if consiousness manifested itself as a feedback loop? exciting
metaphorical realm for a poet or commentator but also for the hardcore
cognitive scientist.

One friend of mine described it rather well when he said "so your
trying to write a very technical thesis but you have fallen in love
with metaphor" Feedback, delay, Live, Looping are great root words to
go on a metaphorical tangent with. In steve reichs 'three tales' he
says that our "fall from grace" or "exit from eden" was because he was
to hasty in eating the apple. But there were three options he could
have chosen. Either the grape, fig or wheat, the text didnt specify
the apple. The grape representing altered consiousness, the fig
representing sexual relations and wheat representing that seed and
root of all technology. If he had not been so hasty the text says that
he would have broken bread and drunk the wine and had his marital
relations at the designated time for doing so but because he way so
hasty....etc. If he had used a tad bit of delay :)
It is interesting that wheat is representative of technology because
since the industrial revolution most wheat has been so tampered with
that it is now close to being simply classified a poison hat assaults
our endocrine system. And our body is a sacred site of positve and
negative feedback loops. highly processed wheat causes the endocrine
system to be out of balance. and balancing the feedback loops is the
art of the healer in many respects. rambling a bit....but its still in
the making. but it does relate to that question of whether
technological advancement is for the betterment of art or not. Big,
big discourse that with purists of different sorts. We have many anti
amplication types around but it is a valid question to dissect.
Is technological advancement for the betterment of music or is it
leading it down the road to becoming simply "product". In this respect
live loopers really are untiing traditional performance aesthetics
with the height of technological advancement for the betterment of
music! hence the excitement in my making these metaphorical
connections.
Just add delay man, some really fancy expensive delay.

I'd be very interested in what you do find in your procrastination
time. Feedback is so integral to the creation of this particular text.

Byron